They had neither a sound system nor instruments for the service – their accordion got too wet to play from the rain. The congregation sang hymns and gentle praise songs in a capella 3-part harmony. They lifted their voices to the Lord and the music carried across the property. There were testimonies from new believers who gave their lives to Christ since the quake, special solos and duets, several sermonettes, babies dedicated, and Communion shared.

Once again I was moved to tears in Haiti. Is there anything more beautiful than a testimony of God’s power and grace, or God’s people gathered to offer a sacrifice of praise? The Church in Haiti has nothing left to give but their most precious offering of praise. Later that afternoon Brian and I walked up a hill to the top and
listened as more congregations assembled outdoors throughout the countryside. Their praises carried and bounced off the hills to the valleys. A farmer stopped to chat and we prayed for him and for a bountiful harvest of millet and manioc. He said he was a Christian too and was happy for the surround sound outdoor worship too! Then back down the hill as the sun set, church goers streamed passed us on their way home before dark. I thanked them for their song and a woman smiled and replied: “We sing to the glory of our Almighty God!” Amen sister.
Sounds like one of those "gives you goose bumps" kinda' moments. Great to see God working and to see he's using you. We'll keep you in our prayers. Good to hear Sarah's voice too.
ReplyDeleteRick Schleiden
Hey Brian,
ReplyDeleteI just read the MNN article and caught up on the blogs.
I used to spend a lot of time in Gressier with a Haitian pastor, Salnave Desarmes. If you see him, give him my greetings and let him know I've been getting word about him from Jim Moelk and I've been praying for him. He's a good guy.
-- Dean