Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"I Am a Social Justice Christian"

Apparently the declaration above is controversial - perhaps even scandalous in some circles. How did it come to this? Throughout the Old Testament God unmistakably reveals His concern for the poor, the downtrodden, and the oppressed. Through the prophets, He reveals His requirement that the people called by His Name actually honor His name by defending and embracing such victims. Consequently, He judges His people for neglecting to do so. In the New Testament the Lord Jesus - God in the flesh - again reveals God's will for His people to show compassion and to act justly. Jesus Himself reveals His mission, citing the Old Testament:

"THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME, BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR. HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES, AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED, TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD." And He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on Him. And He began to say to them, "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing." (Luke 4:18-21)

In this way we preach the Kingdom of God to the oppressed: in ministering to the whole person and seeking justice on their behalf. We are called to make the church a safe and welcome place (Isaiah 56:1-8) and to love them as brothers. This has nothing to do with politics, except for the politics of Jesus! And to a watching world, we display the intention of our Creator for humanity and the true character of Christ. But "If I have not charity," says the Apostle Paul, "I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal." (1 Corinthians 13).

4 comments:

  1. I think people get bent out of shape at the sound of social justice because they think it means abandonment of the gospel for the sake of relief or charity. But that fear is a distortion of the gospel! Good verses!
    Micah 6:8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian & Sarah,

    Welcome back from Haiti! I trust that your time there was used by God to accomplish many things for the Kingdom of God.

    An interesting quote you put up there. I wonder what triggered that post?

    I would phrase the statement something more along the lines of "I am a Christian. Therefore I am intensely interested in issues of social justice." The reason the statement as you phrase it has become controversial is that too many churches and individuals have allowed their social justice concerns to take too high a priority over their Christianity. This has led to a situation where many have abandoned the truth and placed the focus of their efforts and their theology on man-centered thoughts and ideas rather than on the One who is over all things and through whom all things hold together.

    So it has come to this point where we who take the scriptures and the call of God seriously must be very careful about how we focus our ministry. Yes we must be conscious and active in the social justice arena. But we must make our primary allegiance with God through Christ Jesus, and allow Him to work in and through us to make the changes that the world so desperately needs. Until He comes back and sets all things right, we are to work diligently to right the wrongs of this world and bring in the Kingdom of God. By His power and according to His ways, not our own.

    I've been reading John Piper and Fransis Schaefer quite a bit lately, and am finding their writings to be very helpful as I think about how we / I ought to be engaged in what God is doing. Which brings me back to "What brings this up?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Brian & Sarah,

    Thanks for the email a while back. I wanted to write back then, but have to point to the "too busy" excuse again.

    The Foell Family's had the flu this week, and I didn't have to work on the weekend for a change, so I thought I'd try to catch up on one of my favorite blogs, and he responded to something that I thought may answer my question about why you brought it up. Click my name to read his (very thoughtful) response.

    My, I am a slow one at getting around to things, aren't I?

    Well, just thinking about you, and hoping to encourage you that I am praying for you both, and your ministry in Rome.

    Love in Christ,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question and challenge, Brian and Sarah.

    Have you seen the Worldmag.com article by Anthony Bradley? He argues about the quality and purity of white "Christian" social justice. http://online.worldmag.com/2010/05/05/the-suburbanization-of-social-justice/

    I remember moving from Texas to Michigan in 1974. I took my resume to the Urban League. A guy met me at the entrance (read: blocked me from entering) and told me that I couldn't get a job there. When I moved to Cleveland in 1990, I was profiled out of a teaching job in the Cleveland School District. But it wasn't social justice I was trying to bring to those situations. I actually needed a job. I had earlier experience with inner-city teens and I love to stomp out ignorance in academic settings.

    What I really like is social justice that starts with womb dwellers and creates Isaiah 58 norms for every life.

    Sure do like what I'm hearing from you about Rome.

    ReplyDelete