We met when a mutual acquaintance brought her to our screening of the anti-trafficking documentary, "Nefarious". I presented the film, then led the small audience of students in a discussion. Some of them I knew, others I did not. A young male believer commented that he heard that trafficking through prostitution is the result of feminists demanding their sexual freedom. We responded that, as a matter of fact, the European Feminist Lobby advocate the abolition of prostitution, on the grounds that it is a violation of women's dignity and human rights. I added that God granted this dignity and value we all recognize, to women and men. Next, my soon-to-be new friend raised her hand to declare that she was a feminist, and appreciated our faith-based perspective on the issue. By the end of the evening, "Rima" asked to meet with me for coffee to talk more.
When we met I took the opportunity to share the Gospel with Rima, and to clarify the Biblical roots of human rights and where my motivation to seek justice comes from. She was intrigued. Since then, I have introduced Rima to a Christian professor at the university with whom I have been in a mentoring relationship, so that she could get to know a humanities scholar like herself who follows Christ.
And Rima has come to church for worship service. She seems very touched by the testimony and fellowship of the believers. When she asked if we could talk more together about exploitation of women, the Lord prompted me to suggest we watch the film "Magdalena: Released From Shame." I said, "Rima, I want you to see how Jesus Christ treated women, and valued them, so let's watch a film from the perspective of women who encountered Jesus." So we organized a Movie Night at our house with a few others, where we shared a meal, then the film, and then we interacted on what we saw.
The film "Magdalena" is a moving account of the various Gospel encounters of women with the Person of Christ, produced by Cru. The narrative is told by the person of Mary Magdalene.
Rima engaged with the rest of us, remarking on the character of Christ and his treatment of women especially, as a holy man. We talked together about the shame and inferiority that women often feel even in today's society. We noted that Jesus' holiness or piety was not diminished by "sinners"; indeed, that He imparted purity and wholeness to them. Rima would like to change society for the good of women; in this drama she saw that Jesus Christ can truly restore and transform.
Rima is a M*sl*m intellectual who seeks truth and justice. She has seen the failure of an oppressive Islamic regime but also acknowledges the failure of "liberated" Western society when it comes to human rights and dignity. Where can she turn? Pray with us for the eyes of her heart to be opened to
the Messiah, the Savior, the One who came to set us free.
"So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."

Thanks for sharing this. My non-Christian believing cousin shared this with me & other believing family at Christmas time. Your new friend might appreciate some of the facts pointed out in this thoughtful piece about the historic involvement of Christians in the struggle for equality & dignity of many: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/25/opinion/the-christmas-revolution.html?smid=nytcore-ipad-share&smprod=nytcore-ipad
ReplyDelete