This Friday night we were making the rounds as an Angel Squad
among the Treasures lining the boulevard in Rome. Before we head out, we always
pray together in our rental car, but this time the Lord sent ten people to
surround us in prayer and send us off! We huddled in the dark for a blessed time
of focused intercession, lifting requests to the Father for the Treasures, the
men involved, and ourselves to be filled with power to proclaim His Good News
to the captives.
On the street shortly afterwards, Heather, Allie, and I engaged a
number of very young Romanian women who have been in this
business already for too long, in conversations about their life and their dreams. They welcomed us and gladly helped themselves to
the personal care items, the snacks, and Good News literature we offered from
our basket. Backing us up were fellow volunteers in the vehicle: our driver
Brian, Scott as watcher, Elaine as note-taker, and a new volunteer in training.
Then down a side street, we encountered Nastasia, a Russian from Bulgaria. At
28, she was left to care for her two children 10 and 8 year old, abandoned by their
drunken father in Bulgaria. With these children, a widowed mother, and a little
sister at home to provide for, she felt she had no choice but to succumb to the
business of prostitution. We talked about God and His grace, and other options
for a future and a hope.
Then a man pulled up to us in his car and stopped by us. (At
that point, our bodyguard Scott moved closer to keep an eye). Typically,
customers may stop to negotiate or tell the Treasure to get in. But he (“Francesco”)
addressed us – the Angel Squad. “Hello! Hey, you’re here to help these girls,
right? Are you trying to persuade them to quit this business? Do you think it’s
wrong for her to do this?” Francesco was full of questions. “Isn’t this a lousy
business to be in?” We had to be careful what we said; we didn’t know who he
was and what his motives were. And we did not want to offend Nastasia. Allie answered,
“She is not a sinner just because she does this. We are all sinners, and fall
short of God’s glory, God’s best for us. Sin in our hearts condemns all of us.” Allie
beautifully and simply explained the Gospel message of hope in Jesus Christ, to
both Francesco and Natasia. I conceded, “Surely this is a terrible business: for
these girls and the men too. Who do you think suffers most?” Nastasia
added, “It is possible that a few girls who do this for fun, but I swear if I
did not have four mouths to feed - make no
mistake - I would not be here. I hate this. This is no
choice. ”
Francesco then shocked us with a frank plea: “Listen, I want you to know that
I drive around here all the time and I’m so tempted by these girls. I know it’s
wrong. I’m wrong. Just tell me to go home. Try to convince me to go home.” I
asked him if he had a Bible at home. Yes he did. "Go home and read the Gospel of
John, about true, pure, everlasting love. “ We gave him our dedicated phone
number: “Francesco, please call. You can talk more about this with a man like you. And,
you know what? We actually began this evening in prayer for you and men like you out here.” “Thank
you. I'm going home now.” And he drove away. Home. Then Nastasia went home to her family, taking
our phone number too.
Francesco’s questioning eyes moved us all to tears. This man's
naked honestly and struggle with temptation reflected the most truthful sincerity
we had encountered on the street. It was almost like a stand-off between two
unwilling participants. She didn’t want to be there. Neither did he. Forces
drove them to that spot at midnight. And there we were, in the middle. Pleading
with them both to cease this danse macabre. God’s power was unmistakably released
through prayer, moving hearts and gaining victory.


May God richly bless all of the Angel Squad. I believe there is a crown waiting for you.
ReplyDeleteJohn Michael