Thursday, January 29, 2009

"For the Kingdom of God is not just a lot of talk, it is living by God's power."
(1 Cor 4:20, New Living Translation)

Just as I was inclined to do in French, and then in Turkish, I seem to have fallen into the same trap as a novice language learner. That is, the expectation I set for myself to acquire a level of proficiency before I can really explain the Gospel clearly to someone! I tend to presume that I am not yet capable of doing so adequately. I figure that such a consequential task of communication is worthy of good grammar skills, masterful pronunciation, and vocabulary to convey the depth and breadth of the Message. In my attempts to explain the Good News as a beginner in a foreign language, including Italian, I've had the feeling that I sound like a child or a simpleton - woefully unsophisticated. A Master's in Theology doesn't help in these circumstances! Truth be told, it is my pride that is cringing, not Jesus - for He said I must become like a child to live in His Kingdom.

The Bible says that the Kingdom of God is not about a lot of bla-bla-bla (an international expression by the way!). It is not a matter of impressive speech. Rather, it is about experiencing and demonstrating the power of God's love and grace to transform us, for which we are eternally grateful and at peace. This reality should be readable in my life and on my face !

A friend sent me a brief video from a church service, called "Cardboard Testimonies." I was so deeply moved by the content, far more than any clip or live sketch on spiritual themes I've seen. We see here real people, out of real situations - no slick professionals. They are silent as they display simple, honest phrases on cardboard, but their faces speak volumes, and their very brief personal accounts are incredibly eloquent. Each testifies to the grace and power of God with just a few words and a glimmer in the eye. Ah, the beauty of simplicity. Please watch it, praise the God who saves, then let's go out and "use words if necessary" to proclaim Him.

http://www.rhchurch.org:80/pages/cardboard-testimonies

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:30 AM

    Brian & Team-

    I am praying for you. Brian I met you at a round table dinner at the EFCA Central District Conference last year not long before you left for Rome. I'm a pastor of students/families in Sioux Center, IA...doubt you remember me, that's no problem though. The important thing is that you are my brother and I have been and continue to pray for you, your wife, and your team. Keep telling the good news to the people of Rome. Keep blogging and e-mailing even when you feel alone or discouraged. I just returned from John Piper's Pastors conference--I think you may enjoy listening to Michael Oh speak on "Missions as Fasting," here's the link: http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/1624_missions_as_fasting/
    blessings and love in our Lord
    -Tyler Parson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian & Sarah,

    I just stopped by the blog to see how things are going. It sounds like things are starting to come together. Thanks for the link to the Cardboard Testimonies page. Seeing Tyler's comment about John Piper's conference makes me think I should mention the blog on his church's website http://www.desiringgod.org/. I've found the resources there to be very helpful. Inspiring.

    Thanks for posting to the blog. I'll try to do better at checking in. It will help me as I pray for you and your developing team.

    God Bless,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm a friend of Sarah Grace's from BFA and I randomly found your blog. Thanks for posting that video of cardboard testimonies. It really meant a lot for me to see. I hope you are seeing God amidst the earthquake recovery and all the other activity going on for you in Italy.
    -Chris Adams

    ReplyDelete